I am making a Steampunk Art Deco Animatronic Ballerina. Think Abney Park’s “Herr Drosselmeyer’s Doll”, but years later.
Only she is going to be broken, Clara’s brother broke her, so she is tossed aside and forgotten. Her key will be broken off in her back. This will accomplish two things 1) gets me out of actually dancing b/c I am broken, 2) adds to the creepy of it.
Colors are going to be grey and copper with some purple tossed in for accent.
I went into JoAnns and saw that they had a sale on tulle, on top of that they had the copper and grey that I wanted, but it didn’t look like a lot. I had estimated 12 yards of each color. As it turned out, there was 14 yards left on each bolt, I decided I would rather have extra than cut it short so I took the 14 yards of each.
I’ve been sketching out different ideas then I found an etsy store that made the tights and sleeves so I wouldn’t have to do the make-up on myself, but the sleeves are just that, sleeves. I needed to come up with a way to attach them. Most ballet costumes are spaghetti straps.
Then I found a picture of a Steampunk Ballerina Doll, the colors are not right, but the lines are good and it has a coat that I think will work to attach the sleeves.
Next came trying to figure out how to make a tutu. One of my friends lent me a book about constructing a classic tutu. It helps, but I am visual person and there are no diagrams or pictures. A few internet searches later I think I understand the construction of one…slightly. Once that was done I decided it was time to see how much of a tutu I could make with the tulle I had already bought.
As it turns out, it looks as if I got just the right amount.